Consecrated to the Heart of the Redeemer under the patronage of the Theotokos and Fr. Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J.

14 April 2013

STELLA!!!

On my social network news feed, a friend spoke of the current flare-up of Aurora Borealis (which I might be missing by writing this post), rueing her inability to get out of her head "that stupid Flock of Seagulls song lyric."  To wit:


I responded by citing the only song reference to Aurora Borealis that I knew of (although, when I listened to the above piece, I recognized it), namely the stellar standard "Midnight Sun."  Lady Ella's version is among the better ones out there:


I declared Fitzgerald the undisputed champion in this undeclared competition.  After the final bell and the ringside announcement, I leave the replay and post factum judgment to you, patient reader.

Substitute nearly any songster/songstress' version, and there would be no change in the verdict.  How about Carmen McRae?  Hers was the first rendition I knew, so there will always be a soft spot for it.


I take that back: June Christy's was the first version I heard, and I prefer it above the others:


Hope I catch some of the star show.

No comments:

Post a Comment