Consecrated to the Heart of the Redeemer under the patronage of the Theotokos and Fr. Gerard Manley Hopkins, S.J.

23 July 2012

Open-and-Shut (Mental) Case

It isn't easy to work in the marketplace of ideas. Sometimes I envision myself as the guy who helps people load their groceries in the car, or who stocks the shelves. On several breaks from the seminary, I worked at a local supermarket chain. One summer my major project was to help replace the shelving all around the store--that was more helpful for me than some of my classes!

Jennifer Fulwiler of the National Catholic Register writes about the pitfalls of an interminably open mind with respect to religion--the equivalent of carrying groceries in a bag with a hole in it. After a while you're thankful for plastic bottles.

Open-and-Shut

No comments:

Post a Comment